The 84 Squadron Standard bears eight battle honours. Three are emblazoned for the part the Squadron played in the defeat of German and Austro-Hungarian armies in the First World War (Western Front, Somme and Hindenburg Line), three are for the Squadron’s service in the Mediterranean and Middle East (Greece, Egypt and Libya and Iraq), the other two for the Squadron’s action in the Far East (Malaya and Burma)
The award of the Standard to 84 Squadron was originally announced on 7 September 1943, effective from 1 April 1943, when Arthur Gill was C.O. However, due to wartime restrictions and the number of new Standards that had to be made, it was not until well after WW2 that 84’s Standard was made by the Royal School of Needlework - a slow and laborious task. On 5th January 1956 the first Standard was presented to the Squadron by ACM Sir Francis Fogerty.
A new Standard was presented by AM Sir Keith Williamson on 23 October 1980 and the present Standard was presented by AVM TW Rimmer on 8th November 2001 during 84’s, 84th year.
The first and second Standards have been laid up at Beaulieu Abbey Church, the Squadron’s “Spiritual Home” in the UK.